Thursday, April 02, 2009

Cincinnati Hackerspace - The Critical Mass Pattern

The Critical Mass Pattern

I'm wondering how many people are interested in this idea of a hackerspace in the Cincinnati area.

It looks to me like there is a kernel of people working to start a local chapter of dorkbot: dorkbot-cinci.


.___ __ ___. __ .__ .__
__| _/___________| | _\_ |__ _____/ |_ ____ |__| ____ ____ |__|
/ __ |/ _ \_ __ \ |/ /| __ \ / _ \ __\/ ___\| |/ \_/ ___\| |
/ /_/ ( <_> ) | \/ < | \_\ ( <_> ) | \ \___| | | \ \___| |
\____ |\____/|__| |__|_ \|___ /\____/|__| \___ >__|___| /\___ >__|
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/


They meet on the first Friday of the month (tomorrow!) at the Brewhouse "crashing the cinci2600 meeting".

I've got a few notes on this topic over at DIYcity on our DIYcity_Cincinnati page, too.

I think there are a number of different flavors of "hackerspaces" that we could maybe try: hackerspace, co-working space, free geek, tool library, free culture shop, crafter / maker hangout.

I think that the Critical Mass Pattern makes sense. I think I'm going to go to the meeting tomorrow night at the Brewhouse and see how I can help. Join me?

Update!: A group has formed (online) to discuss setting up a hackerspace in Cincinnati. Check it out at: http://groups.google.com/group/cincihackerspace!