1) In 2008 PLCH was ranked in the top 10 in Hennen's American Public Library Ratings for libraries serving a population of 500,000 or more AND the Main Library branch downtown was named the busiest library branch in the the country. Library use is at an all time high.
2) In March of this year, the Fiscal Office at PLCH was awarded the 2007 Making Your Tax Dollars Count Award bestowed by Ohio Auditor Mary Taylor for being in the top 5 percent of finance directors in the state honored for careful spending, accurate fiscal recording and efficiency.
3) Because Library funding is a percentage of the state’s general revenue fund, as the economy has faltered, the Library’s funding has already been reduced 25% since 2000. The Governor’s proposed state budget is considering a 50% cut to the Public Library Fund, a $6 million FURTHER cut to our Library funding. If this proposed funding cut is enacted, consequences would be DEVASTATING regardless if a 1 mill levy on the November 3rd ballot is passed. This is what you would see in September 2009:
* 250 additional Library jobs will be lost
* 20 branch libraries will be PERMANENTLY closed
* Main Library hours will be dramatically cut
* Computer access will be reduced by more than 30%
* Fewer new books, CDs, DVDs and other materials will be available
* Diminished quality of service and less qualified staff to help
* PLCH's call for Action
* The Library Is Now Closed blog
City Council Race 2009 - Follow It On Twitter! - Five of our nine City Council Members are currently on Twitter. In addition, seven out of the twelve challengers are on Twitter too. As the election gets c...
7 years ago